Monday, February 2, 2015

Looking at art in NYC


 National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution
Title: Kumukwamt (Chief of the Undersea mask)
Artist: Vancouver Island, British Columbia, ca. 1900

I was surprised when I first saw this Kumukwamt mask because the mask is very colorful, creative and include many details or pattern. My first impression was  "Amazing" and how did they create this masterpiece just out of wood, paint, glass and string. The use of color was very eye catching and stand out. This mask represents Kumugwe-wealthy, the chief of the Undersea. The Kumugwe' lives under the ocean guarded by various sea monster. It was also known as the Copper Maker because his house was made out of copper and his wealth was sought after by legendary heroes. This artwork is surrounded by other mask include mask that is use in a festival/ceremonies, for example the Kwakwaka Wakw mechanical mask. This art work remind me of the book, Oedipus where the actors wear mask to perform/acts.

5 comments:

  1. I think that this artwork was very unique and cool just because of how the art was structured and molded. I think it fascinating that this artwork looked like it was made of clay and hardened but it was actually wood which shocked me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is interesting how a lot of indigenous art is religion based and by studying these mask, we can learn a lot about their life style. Do you know if they made it out of one piece of wood or many put together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the expression in this mask, it reminds me of the masks we learned about in English this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This mask uses interesting bold colors to express high class royalty. It remind me of Oedipus and the many faces expressed through different masks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said in your explanation that glass is used in making the mask, how can glass be incorporated? Because I do not see glass, it would be interesting to understand the entire process of the mask's creation. This mask also reminded me of ancient tribal events like dancing or sacrifices.

    ReplyDelete